Friday, November 28, 2008

Did you buy?

I didn't purchase a single thing today!  But I know a whole lot of people around the states did. It is, of corse "black Friday" one of the busiest shopping days of the year.   The holiday season represents to me, consumerism at it's worst. People go into debt each year then pay it off  just in time to do it all over again for the Holidays. 

Fashion is a sort of major consumerism as well.  I try to purchase most of my clothing via second hand stores such as charity shops or exchange type stores.  I do purchase new things from time to time and try to buy things that will last a long while.  For me it is easy to find trendy items in charity shops because most things that are "in" fashion have been "in",  in the past as well.  For me it is a fun challenge to hunt for interesting vintage and trendy items in charity and second hand shops.   It seems to make ones wardrobe a bit more interesting and not so much the same as everyone else's.  It is also more money conscious, and in these times there is a lot to be said about saving money.  Another important part of shopping at these types of stores is the recycling aspect, saving more pieces from being put into the world, thus saving energy of all types. 



So, did you buy anything today?



No comments: