Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nooks, Crannies And My New Obsession!

I've been reading a lot of online decorating blogs lately which has made me really think about "my" style of decorating.  I have a very eclectic aesthetic, I like tribal, antique, folk, gypsy and boudoir.  I'm pretty all over the place but somehow I make it work.

Since living in San Francisco, I have purchased so many gorgeous art pieces from thrift stores.  I have managed to decorate my entire apartment with thrifted art that matches my taste and goes together.  It's really wild actually.  I believe that everything happens for a reason and if this collection is any indication, the universe wants me to be happy.  I have recently decided that I wanted to have a "animal" to collect.  You know how lots of people really love owls or frogs or which ever animal speaks to them.  I decided my animal of choice would be peacocks, I have always loved them.  The bright colors, the crazy huge feathers, it just seemed perfect for me to collect something so bold and eclectic.  A few months ago while on a wine tasting excursion to Napa I found a beautiful old metal peacock music box at a yard sale.  I'm pretty sure that sparked my interest, or at least reaffirmed it.  Since then I have noticed a few other peacock things around the house, unknowingly having picked them out.  I guess it's meant to be.

Yesterday I went to the local thrift to try to find more wooden hangers and managed to find some satin ones too, I came home with about 12 more and 2 amazing framed Vogue cover prints, one of which has a peacock.  Another sign that the universe gives you what you want!  This post is going to be very photo heavy but I wanted to show my collection of things I have managed to collect in San Francisco thrift stores by not spending much money!  Here goes........


Edit:  I looked up the meaning of Peacock in terms of symbolism!


Peacock: Fully aware of his own beauty, peacock signifies a new opportunity for spiritual growth and healing. Peacock's gifts bring confidence, stature and accomplishment to the dreamer. Peacock's feathers are ringed with eyes that contain the medicine of foresight and clairvoyance. On the surface, peacock spirit is boastful energy. The lesson is to watch our pride and beware of the ego. Thus, Peacock medicine is our ability to be noble, yet humble.



The new Vogue prints, I paid 8$ each for.





Vanity Fair cover 

Mucha, one of my Favorite artists

Another Vouge cover

Another Mucha, with some of my tin collection which is mostly thrifted, some are from Etsy. 

More tins and  new thrifted mirror, notice the peacock on the taller red tin.

The peacock music box that sparked my collection, I paid 1$ for it.

Thrifted horse picture, and the start of my collection of Hex Signs (both thrifted) these two symbolize peace.

Thrifted Moroccan lamp and wooden box, I painted the lamp shade and plant holder

My mom sent my this peacock wall hanging recently before I even told her I was collecting peacocks.

Thrifted silver tray and vintage mirror and brushes from etsy. 



6 comments:

Panty Buns said...

Wow! You got some amazing deals on some true collectibles. I wonder what the folks at the Antiques Road Show would say some of them are worth. They all look to be in such pristine condition, not to mention the fact that they're lovely. You have excellent taste.

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous Jocelyn... I think I'm collecting tigers. I have a huge foamcore tiger sitting being my dresser and a few photos on canvas of tigers. My first (personally painted) oil painting was a tiger. A punk boy gave me a sheet of neon pink tiger cloth. And I have a chinese tiger painted on a leaf that I found at a garage sale... just had to share...

Tamagosan said...

Wow, some of these are soooo beautiful! Peacocks, eh? It's on! :-)

Charlotte said...

Love all Vogue pictures! I love Peacooks, they are beautiful. My "animal" or bug rather is the ladybug for luck and positivity.

AK said...

Amazing! You have great taste.

Missa said...

Those new Vogue prints are amazing and YES, the peacock seems to fit your aesthetic perfectly.

I've been meaning to send you a few goodies but maybe I'll wait until I come across that perfect little something peacock to include as well, I love shopping for a theme!